Dr. Richard Nordquist try teacher emeritus of rhetoric and you can English on Georgia Southern area School plus the author of numerous school-peak sentence structure and you will structure books.
Homophones-which means “same music” in Latin-are a couple of or even more terminology, including know and you may the brand new or meat and satisfy, that are pronounced an identical however, differ from inside the meaning, provider, and often spelling. Homographs, meanwhile, is actually conditions with an equivalent spelling but disagree within the source, meaning, and frequently enunciation, including the verb happen (to create or endure) and also the noun incur (your pet with an excellent shaggy coat).
Words one to belong to these about three categories often mistake members and you will writers exactly the same. Nevertheless they shouldn’t have to perplex you: Knowing the meaning of these types of about three grammatical words and you may, especially, having the ability to accept them can help clear up people dilemma. A list of a few of the most prominent homonyms, homophones, and you can homographs may help one writer make use of these words correctly and people audience or listener recognize them once they exists.
Homonyms, Homophones, and you can Homographs
Is a listing of some the preferred homonyms, homophones, and you may homographs. The original line consists of homonyms when you look at the alphabetical buy, once the second and you can 3rd columns list new involved homonym, homophone, or homograph since the relevant.
Habit Using Homonyms, Homophones, and Homographs
Over each of the following sentences by filling out this new empty for the right phrase. You’ll find the fresh solutions after brand new take action. In order to intensify attract, the sentences was estimates away from individuals authors’ blog site during the books and you may mag content wrote usually. Feel free to make use of the past desk so you’re able to if you have made stumped.
- “He just sat down on the fresh new ledge and you may forgot what you _____ [take on or but] the glorious puzzle.”- Lawrence Sargent Hall
- “My home is the newest Oakland Hills into the a little home on the a road very windy you can not push more 10 kilometers by the hour. I hired they since the _____ [offer or create] said that it: ‘Small domestic from the woods that have the garden and you may a hearth. Dogs invited, naturally.'”- Pam Houston
- “Francis pondered what _____ [guidance otherwise suggest] a psychiatrist will have to own your.”- John Cheever
- “The latest _____ [aid otherwise aide] becomes off the beaten track, picking their unique top out from the rubble from pupils at the their own feet.”- Rosellen Brown
- “He did actually need certainly to recapture the newest cosseted perception however had whenever he’d been sick as the a baby and you may she would serve your apartment ginger _____ [ail or ale], and you can toast saturated inside the solution, and you may enjoy endless games that have your, having fun with their blanket-secure feet just like the a desk.”- Alice Elliott Ebony
- “He seated down and leaned send, extract the fresh chair’s butt foot on _____ [sky, ere, otherwise heir] so the waiter could get because of the.”- Stanley Elkins
- “[T]he stewardess are swinging along the _____ [aisle, I am going to, otherwise area], such as for instance an experienced nursing assistant delivering heat from inside the a hospital ward, observe that they were the securely strapped in for the new take-of.”- Martha Gellhorn
- “Mrs. Parmenter chuckled on their _____ [allusion otherwise fantasy] on their summer in the Mrs. Sterrett’s, within the yardД±mcД± kaynaklar Rome, and you may gave him her layer to hold.”- Willa Cather
- “Regarding a lot of time age ranging from, she got fashioned many fine attire-gowned gay girls due to their conquests and you will robed reasonable brides getting the brand new _____ [altar otherwise changes].”- Mary Lerner
Solutions to this new Exercise
step one. except 2. offer step 3. recommendations 4. aide 5. draught beer 6. air 7. aisle 8. allusion nine. altar 10. consumed eleven. bales 12. ring 13. exposed 14. basics 15. beat 16. blew 17. dough 18. pick